Shelby is conveniently located just 15 miles off I-85 at the base of the North Carolina foothills, where the Piedmont buckles to meet the mountains. The beautiful Uptown district is less than a one hour west of uptown Charlotte, about one hour and 10 minutes north of Greenville, SC, and about one and half hours east of Asheville and the Blue Ridge Mountains. Shelby is a great day trip from any of these metros - or anywhere in between! It also makes for a great stop to break up a long drive.
While there's plenty of great things to do in Uptown Shelby, there's even more just beyond our district. Check out this list of highlights, and visit Tour Cleveland County for a comprehensive list.
- Entertainment: Nationally-known performers and up-and-coming acts at The Don Gibson Theatre, and word-class exhibits and programs at The Earl Scruggs Center
- Hiking, canoeing, and kayaking at the First Broad River Trail (update 2/13/2020 - the swinging bridge was washed out by a major storm so only a short walking trail is currently available)
- Hiking and canoeing at the Broad River Greenway (update 2/17/2020 - crews are working assess and clear trails. The incredibly high water levels caused a lot of changes to the trails. Reopening date TBA.)
- Local produce, cheese, meat, flowers, and artisan products plus kids activities, food demos, and more at the lively Foothills Farmers Market (Saturdays from April through October at the City Pavilion, 8 am - 12 pm; Second Saturdays from November to March)
- Local art exhibits and classes at the Cleveland County Arts Council and Buffalo Creek Gallery
- Historic carrousel, miniature train, golf, swimming, and walking trails at Shelby City Park
- Hiking, camping, and waterfalls at South Mountain State Park
Historic home tour and events at the Bankers House, a stunning example of Second Empire architecture
- Notable lectures, concerts & performances at Gardner-Webb University in Boiling Springs
- Miniature golf, bumper boats and a par three course at Oak Mills Fun Park
- Exciting baseball plus a variety of fun events when the American Legion World Series is in town every August
- Challenging 18-hole courses at Deer Brook and RiverBend
- Below are a few more links to sights, events, and attractions around our community.